February 1, 2023
Defending life day
Join us for our second annual Defending Life Day February 1st, 2023! Stay tuned for more information and stay up to date by signing up for email updates.
use Your Voice to encourage life
Your personal presence is vital. It powerfully supports pro-life members of the General Assembly or encourages those who have voted against pro-life bills in the past to reconsider their views. We want our legislators to see we are engaged and expect to see them pass life-affirming legislation.
We will gather in the morning at the Richmond Convention Center to organize our advocacy teams, receive guidance for meeting with members, and gain inspiration from pro-life leaders. After organizing into district groups, we will then walk over to our legislators’ offices to meet with our senators and members of the House of Delegates. We want to let them know, as their constituents, that we hope to see them pass legislation to uphold and defend the dignity of every human life.
Talking points, legislative updates and tips for effective advocacy will be provided by the organizers to make your constituent meetings easy and successful. Please join us!
organize a group
Help us reach our goal of assembling advocates from every district in the Commonwealth! Choose to become an integral part of this day by serving as a District Captain.
Volunteer District Captains will be named by the organizing committee and are a critical component to making the day successful. The major responsibilities are listed below.
- Make appointments with the legislative offices for the group that will be meeting with the Senator and Delegate.
- Keep track of and communicate with local constituents who sign up online for their district. The contact information for the constituents will be given to the captain as it is collected.
- If applicable, help to organize how advocates travel to Richmond. (e.g. carpools, buses, etc.)
- Encourage everyone who is coming to wear something red.
- Make sure everyone has received talking points, maps of Richmond, General Assembly information, or any other documents the organizers will provide.
- Confirm that everyone who has signed up for their district has watched the “how to” lobby video found on this site.
- Keep track of their delegation groups at the Pocahontas building and after lobbying time is done.
- Help ensure that those in their group get home.
To apply to be selected as a District Captain, select “Yes” under District Captain on the Sign Up page.
pro-life advocacy day Schedule
February 9, 2022
8:00 Groups start arriving at Greater Richmond Convention Center (403 N 3rd St.)
8:45 Interfaith morning prayer and remarks
9:15 Logistical instructions/reminders
9:30 Begin walking to Senate Offices (Pocahontas Building, 900 E. Main St.)
- 0.6 miles (13 minute walk)
- Shuttle service provided for those in need
10:00 Senate office visits
10:30 House office visits
12:00 Appear in the House/Senate gallery with announcement by a member on the floor
12:05 Mass at St. Peter Pro-Cathedral (optional)
HAVE A QUESTION? contact Us!
A collaborative effort of the Virginia Catholic Conference, the Dioceses of Arlington and Richmond, and Virginia Society for Human Life.